FIGMENT offers an alternative to the traditional art scene in New York, using interaction and collaboration as tools for wild creativity, and being completely free and open to the public.
Remember to bring anything that you might need for the day.
There are no stores on Governors Island. The island does have medical facilities, porta-potties/restrooms, and a few snack carts / concession stands.
- Drinking water: Bring your own as there is very limited water on the Island
- Picnic food and snacks to eat and share
- Sun protection: Sunscreen, a floppy hat or parasol, and sunglasses
- Toys: Sidewalk chalk, kites, hula hoops, croquet sets, water guns… anything that you want to play with or invite others to join you in!
- Any necessary medications
- Costumes: FIGMENT is the perfect time to play make-believe (for both kids & adults!)
- Bicycles or roller skates: The Island is very walkable and a tram is available, but wheels make it easy to get around!
The following items are PROHIBITED on the Island – please do not bring them:
- Glass containers
- Dogs or other pets (you will be turned away before you board the ferry unless it is a registered service animal)
- Cars (during FIGMENT weekend, vehicle traffic on the Island is limited to those who have advance permission)
- Anything that is not legal to have in public in New York City
BRINGING YOUR ART
We invite you to bring your art, performance, or artistic endeavors… and hope that you will take advantage of FIGMENT as a creative outlet for your work. Please note that you cannot bring anything that needs to be staked into the ground, be connected to a power source, plotted on the map, or scheduled for a stage or performance area unless your project is pre-registered with FIGMENT.