FIGMENT NYC 2014
FIGMENT is a completely free annual festival of participatory art and culture taking place in multiple cities across the globe. FIGMENT is non-profit run by volunteers using donations. We do not accept corporate sponsorship.
FIGMENT NYC Weekend:
Saturday, June 7 & Sunday, June 8
Each summer, FIGMENT NYC transforms Governors Island into a large-scale collaborative artwork for one weekend. FIGMENT NYC weekend has been an opportunity for everyone to celebrate the start of summer by relaxing in Governors Island's beautiful park while participating in dozens of art experiences from large-scale sculptures to music, dance, crafting, and celebrations of free expression.
Bounce by Spark Movement Collective, Choreography by Chelsea Koenig. Photo by Scott Lynch.
FIGMENT NYC Summer-long:
June 7 through September 26
Throughout the summer of 2014 you will find wildly creative, original exhibitions on New York City's Governors Island: our Interactive Sculptures, artist-designed Minigolf Course, TreeHouse, and City of Dreams Pavilion. All these exhibits are free for you to enjoy and interact with while the island is open.
Rendering by A Touch of Modern
Rendering by Cosmo Design Factory
Photo by Tes Rivera
Rendering by CDR Studio
Bring along whatever you need for a day of fun in a park - bikes, sunscreen, hats, toys. There is no drinking water on Governors Island, so please come prepared. The event is rain-or-shine. If the forecast calls for rain, be prepared to hide — or dance — under porches, arches, and umbrellas while the clouds pass.
What to Expect
Art and activities in every medium available… especially the art and activities that YOU bring! Check out our 2014 artist and projects here.
It is very important to us that everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience at FIGMENT NYC so please keep the following in mind:
- It is not safe to climb the art, unless you are specifically informed that it is safe to do so.
- Strollers, scooters, kites and kids are more than welcome but please keep an eye on your children. FIGMENT is a wonderful environment for kids an we want them to be safe and cared for responsibly.
- Treat the art with care and respect so we can all enjoy it for the entire season.
- All visitors to FIGMENT NYC are asked to join us in supporting a "Leave No Trace" ethic. If you bring it with you, take it with you or dispose of it properly. There are recycling bins on site so please use them.
- FIGMENT is dedicated to creating a social and creative experience uninterrupted by commercial sponsorship, transactions, or advertising. FIGMENT does not sell anything on the Island, and does not allow commerce of any kind during the event.
Sculpture by Kathy Creutzburg. Photo by Nate Davis.
Want to get involved?
FIGMENT depends on our volunteers! Bring your experience, skills and enthusiasm to the table and volunteer to help at the event or throughout the year as we prepare for next year.
How can I donate to FIGMENT?
If you enjoy your experiences at FIGMENT, please make a donation so we can continue bringing you FIGMENT for years to come. We are a registered 501c(3) arts organization so your donation is fully tax deductible.
Tatala NYC All Women AfroBrazilian Drum Band. Photo by Stefano Corso.
Want to share your photos and videos?
If you take photos or videos of your experience at FIGMENT NYC and you would like to share them with our community on social networks then simply tag them #FIGMENTNYC2014 so everyone can find them.
We love when you share photos and videos. If you would also like us to be able to feature your contributions in our promotion and fund-raising initiatives then please send us links to your images and sign our photography agreement. Full credit will be given each time your work is used.
Submissions for our 2014 NYC are now closed. You can still bring a project to FIGMENT, even if you didn’t submit your project! Any project that complies with our guidelines and that can be carried on to a public ferry can come to FIGMENT. Please note that unregistered projects:
- will not be on our website or posted schedules
- will not have access to power
- cannot be installed in a building or on any structure on the island
- must be taken off the island every day and leave no trace
If you have any questions about these requirements, or just want to give us a heads-up that you’re
coming, please contact us.