TEACHERS AND YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS: MAKE A VISIT
- Experience art and culture of NYC
- Participate in and create art
- Explore NYC terrain and history
- Study of transportation (ferry)
- Study of NYC landmarks (Statue of Liberty & island forts that defended NYC)
- Build community and practice team-building through shared experience
“FIGMENT School & Opening Day” on Opening Weekend, Friday, June 10th, 2011M
- See artists installing their work
- Bring art supplies and make art on the island
- Meet students from other schools
- Learn about the history of NYC
Plan your visit
- We’re happy to provide you with trip-planning essentials: map, routes, scavenger hunt worksheet, visuals, and vocabulary.
2 hour tour
3 hour tour
Make your own tour
List of sites, approx times to spend at each, places to picnic for lunch
This will be made available to you through free downloadable PDFs in early May.
What do I need to know about visiting Governors Island?
- You take a FREE 7-10 minute ferry ride there from South Ferry (green building next to Staten Island Ferry). Go to our Getting There page for more information.
- Governors Island is only open on FRIDAY, SATURDAY, and SUNDAY.
- There is very little food and water for purchase on the island. Please bring food, water, and any medications you may need. For a full list of what to bring, click here.
- Port-a-potties are located throughout the island. There are few indoor restrooms.
How do I sign up for a trip?
Who can I contact to help me plan my trip?